Ryan O’Neal and the missing painting of Farrah Fawcett by Andy Warhol
The painting of Farrah Fawcett seen hanging over Ryan O'Neal's bed in a reality television show was, for most viewers, a sign of his enduring love for the late actress.
But to beneficiaries of her will it was evidence that O'Neal was in possession of a $30million (£18.8million) Andy Warhol portrait that has not been seen since her death two years ago.
Warhol made two portraits of the actress in 1980, both of which were shown in the documentary Farrah's Story, which charted the Charlie's Angels star's courageous battle with cancer.
Following her death on June 25 2009, at the age of 62, she left her entire collection of paintings to the University of Texas, where she studied art.
However, it only received one of the Warhols.
The university subsequently hired a private investigator to track down missing items from her the collection.
It claims that the first episode of a new reality television show, Ryan & Tatum: The O'Neals, broadcast on The Oprah Winfrey Network last weekend, provided the breakthrough to its whereabouts.
The reality show documents the reconciliation between O'Neal and his daughter Tatum following an eight-year rift.
A painting looking remarkably similar to the missing Warhol appeared in the background at Ryan O'Neal's home in Malibu, California....
comments powered by Disqus
- South Dakota drops history as a high school requirement
- The Forgotten History Of 'Violent Displacement' That Helped Create The National Parks
- Gospel of Jesus’ Wife May Be Authentic, New Tests Suggest
- Architect Sought for Obama’s Presidential Library Complex
- 2016 election's leading candidates have strong Jewish family ties
- Ron Radosh plans to defend Warren Harding in a new book
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis
- Ken Burns: Donald Trump’s birtherism — a “politer way of saying the ‘N-word'” — proves America isn’t remotely “post-racial”
- Medievalist calls on historians to welcome pop culture