South Africa: Michelle Obama pays tribute to Soweto
US First Lady Michelle Obama has paid tribute to apartheid victims on a visit to South Africa's township of Soweto.
She was speaking to young women from across Africa in a church that became a landmark in the 1976 Soweto uprising.
Mrs Obama said the successful fight against apartheid as well as the US civil rights movement should inspire them to overcome the problems of today, such as HIV or violence against women.
On Monday, Mrs Obama met the former South African President Nelson Mandela....
comments powered by Disqus
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Martin Amis’s ‘Zone of Interest’ Makes European Publishers Squirm
- Urban Outfitters Features "Vintage" Red-Stained Kent State Sweatshirt
- Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds
- Do You Have Snippets of the Star-Spangled Banner?