Artist Ai Weiwei released on bailBreaking News
Various news agencies are reporting this morning that imprisoned artist Ai Weiwei has been released on bail.
Ai, who was arrested in April on charges of tax evasion, bigamy, and "spreading pornography on the Internet," is now apparently in touch with his attorney and other web denizens via text and was reached by the New York Times on his cell phone. "I'm released, I'm home, I'm fine," he told the reporters.
The Xinhua report states that Ai, whom the Guardian reported was in "good physical health" in mid-May, was released due to a "chronic disease he suffers from," as well as his willingness to pay the disputed taxes.
Ai was arrested at the Beijing airport on April 3 as he was about to board a Hong Kong-bound aircraft. It is widely believed in the West that the charges are politically motivated.
comments powered by Disqus
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed
- Female World War II Pilots Can Now Have Their Ashes at Arlington National Cemetery
- Obama Signs Bill Removing ‘Negro,’ ‘Oriental’ from Federal Laws
- ISIS Destroys Ancient Adad & Mashki Gates in Nineveh, Iraq
- Geographical names with “Jim Crow” are history in this state
- Timothy Garton Ash Puts Forth a Free-Speech Manifesto
- Iowa historian makes independent bid for US Senate
- British feminist historian declines prestigious Israeli award following BDS pressure
- Robert W. Gutman, Biographer of Wagner and Mozart, Dies at 90
- Greg O’Malley’s go-to slave trade database will soon show more than the path the ships took from Africa to the New World