Previously unknown painting by Caravaggio discovered in BritainBreaking News
The work shows Saint Augustine poring over his books at a desk and has been dated to around 1600, when the artist would have been 28.
The oil on canvas piece was unattributed until it was restored and showed Caravaggio’s characteristics.
Fewer than 50 of Caravaggio’s paintings survive and this new discovery will appear in print for the first time next month.
A leading scholar, Sebastian Schütze, professor of art history at the University of Vienna and one of the book's co-authors, called the work a significant discovery.
He said: “What looked like an anonymous 17th-century painting revealed its artistic qualities after restoration.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Angled for Soviet Posting In the 1980s
- Places That Are Actually Worth Visiting
- JFK’s last birthday: Gifts, champagne and wandering hands on the presidential yacht
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH