Previously unknown painting by Caravaggio discovered in BritainBreaking News
The work shows Saint Augustine poring over his books at a desk and has been dated to around 1600, when the artist would have been 28.
The oil on canvas piece was unattributed until it was restored and showed Caravaggio’s characteristics.
Fewer than 50 of Caravaggio’s paintings survive and this new discovery will appear in print for the first time next month.
A leading scholar, Sebastian Schütze, professor of art history at the University of Vienna and one of the book's co-authors, called the work a significant discovery.
He said: “What looked like an anonymous 17th-century painting revealed its artistic qualities after restoration.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Niall Ferguson says it's no surprise Trump's so popular
- Howard Zinn group backs move to "Abolish Columbus Day"
- Ted Widmer appointed director of John W. Kluge Center
- What Historians Are Saying About the First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Princeton professor documents the movement that ended single-sex education at elite schools