Linda Salvucci: History is being crowded out of the daily school schedules in many states across the nation; only 12 minutes a week?Historians in the News
This past week, we learned that American students are less proficient in the history of the United States than in any other subject. The New York Times reported that the National Assessment of Educational Progress released the results of a nationwide exam given to thousands of students. According to the results, most fourth graders couldn’t explain why Abraham Lincoln was important. Eighth graders couldn’t identify why American forces had an advantage over the British during the Revolution.
How much attention do you pay to this report?
With a doff of the hat to Sarah Palin, the NAEP report on U.S. history is the proverbial sounding of the alarm.
Some argue that American students have always been deficient in their knowledge of U.S. history, but I do think that we are at a particularly difficult juncture. The situation is deteriorating because of the reasons listed below. It truly is the “perfect storm” of inadequate attention to, training in, and support for history education.
Public officials and society at large have devalued the study of history, which when taught and learned well, goes a long way in making students college-, career- and citizenship-ready. It serves a myriad of purposes–intellectual, inspirational, practical and political....
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport