Romney U.S. Presidential Run May Make Religion Political Issue--First Time Since 1960Breaking News
Religion hasn't played a major role in a presidential race since John F. Kennedy was the first Roman Catholic elected 45 years ago. Yet Romney's membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nicknamed the Mormon Church, may complicate his courtship of Republican social conservatives and the evangelical Christians who, through their numbers and activism, play a critical role in the party's nominating process.
``Among the religious right there is at least some segment that thinks of Mormons as heretics,'' said Gary Jacobson, a political expert at the University of California, San Diego. ``On the other hand, in terms of social values, they're indistinguishable.''
Romney says he is considering a presidential run and has the potential to enter the contest for the 2008 Republican nomination among the top tier of contenders. President George W. Bush can't run again after two terms, and Vice President Dick Cheney has said he won't. The first primary is in New Hampshire, which borders Massachusetts and where Romney would be expected to do well.
The question of his Mormonism may reveal something about the Republican Party and the Christian activists who have been key to recent Republican electoral victories.
Romney's religion ``might hurt him slightly, but I don't think it would be a major negative,'' said Don Wildmon, an ordained Methodist minister who is chairman of the American Family Association in Tupelo, Mississippi.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity