New van Dyck painting to be auctioned at Sotheby'sBreaking News
Sotheby's London is to auction a portrait of a monk, credited to Anthony van Dyck, that was previously thought to have been painted by Rubens.
The work, owned by the same French family for at least 200 years, was known as Confesseur de Rubens.
Sotheby's says experts noticed brushwork more characteristic of Rubens' pupil Van Dyck.
Meanwhile, a dealer who rediscovered Van Dyck's A Portrait of a Young Girl, in 2010, has spoken of his find.
The artist's Portrait of a Carmelite Monk, which is estimated to sell for £600,000-£800,000 when it is auctioned on 6 July, was among artworks valued for a family by the Sotheby's Paris office.
The auction house's George Gordon said that the way the monk's head was turned to one side created an impression of spontaneity as opposed to the more formal composition of Rubens' portraits....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity