Visitors now can explore Payne's Farm battlefieldBreaking News
Orange County's Payne's Farm battlefield is open for business.
The scene of the heaviest casualties during the Union army's 1863 Mine Run campaign, the 685-acre battlefield is one of the most pristine on the East Coast--and least-known.
Now, after years of work by the Civil War Trust, Piedmont Environmental Council and local volunteers, it is beginning to welcome visitors. And thanks to its inclusion in the popular multi-state Civil War Trails program, the site will soon be known to thousands of people across the mid-Atlantic and nation.
A 1.5-mile self-guided walking trail through the site's woods and fields has been built, with the battle's history interpreted by a series of wayside markers that a Civil War Trails crew finished installing last week.
Union Gen. George Gordon Meade, urged on by President Abraham Lincoln, launched the Mine Run campaign in late November 1863 to dislodge and outflank Gen. Robert E. Lee's army, aiming to get between it and Richmond....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity