How history has changed the colour of our monumentsBreaking News
As the Red Fort in Delhi is revealed to have once been white, here are five other colour-changing monuments:
The stark white stone of the Parthenon in Athens was once painted in garish red, blue and yellow, according to scientists who have found traces of pigments on the building's marble.
St Basil's Cathedral:
The Byzantine onion domes of St Basil's Cathedral in Moscow's Red Square were only painted in stripes and swirls in the 17th century, several decades after they were built. They were originally gilded and the cathedral's overall colour scheme was more muted....
comments powered by Disqus
- Thomas Jefferson Wrote What? Carson’s Constitutional Misstep
- Agriculture Linked to DNA Changes in Ancient Europe
- A Century Ago, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity Changed Everything
- At Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, a Heralded Alum, Is Recast as an Intolerant One
- Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled