The photographs and letters which expose Winston Churchill's relative's descent into NazismBreaking News
A 'highly significant' collection of unseen documents exposing the Nazi-sympathiser cousin of Sir Winston Churchill's wife have been unearthed in a loft.
The never-before-seen letters and photographs revealing the extent of George Pitt-Rivers' views and his descent into Nazism were discovered in Dorset.
Pitt-Rivers, the cousin of Clementine Churchill, earned fame as a respected anthropologist after fighting as a captain in World War I.
However, during the 1930s, the scientist - described as a perplexing, contradictory and disturbing figure - became a vocal supporter of National Socialism and eugenics, which advocates the use of practices to produce improved offspring.
He established strong links with Adolf Hitler’s government and was eventually arrested as a Nazi sympathiser on the orders of his own cousin-in-law - Winston Churchill....
comments powered by Disqus
- Niall Ferguson says it's no surprise Trump's so popular
- Howard Zinn group backs move to "Abolish Columbus Day"
- Ted Widmer appointed director of John W. Kluge Center
- What Historians Are Saying About the First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Princeton professor documents the movement that ended single-sex education at elite schools