Britain could have won the war in 1942 if RAF listened to jet pioneer, author claimsBreaking News
The Allies would have crushed Nazi Germany 'within three years' if the RAF had not rejected plans by a British inventor to build the world's first jet-powered fighter planes, according to new research.
Inventor Sir Frank Whittle was told his designs for a 500mph jet were 'totally unrealistic' and RAF chiefs refused to invest a penny in their development.
It meant the RAF engineer was forced to circulate his patent internationally in the hope of finding a private investor.
But the document fell into enemy hands and was used as the blueprint for Germany's own jet development programme....
Until now, it was widely believed that the race to design a jet-powered aircraft was fought independently between Whittle and German engineer Hans von Ohain.
But author John Golley, who researched the topic for more than 20 years, said von Ohain's efforts were made 'significantly easier' thanks to Whittle's patent.
'Whittle was allowed to file his patent without secrecy and within a few months it reached Berlin, where it was distributed to numerous aeronautical establishments,' Golley said....
'But Britain could have won the war by 1942 using the same technology, if the RAF had not rejected Whittle's designs at the outset.'...
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges