Poll Shows 80 Percent of Americans Unfamiliar With Memorial Day's Real MeaningBreaking News
What is Memorial Day? A new poll commissioned by The National WWII Museum reveals the nation is in danger of forgetting. Eighty percent of all Americans confess to having "little" or "some" knowledge of the holiday. Just 20 percent claim to be "very familiar" with the day's purpose, which is to honor those who have died while fighting the nation's wars.
In response, The National WWII Museum has unveiled a new website www.mymemorialday.org featuring 10 ways to honor those who have fallen in the service of their country.
"The site offers ideas for all," said The National WWII Museum President and CEO Gordon H. "Nick" Mueller. "A family can visit a military site, or an individual can read a book about WWII history. It's a way to honor, remind and remember why this day is important."
Concerned that Americans were forgetting Memorial Day's meaning, The Museum asked New Orleans-based Market Dynamics Research Group, Inc., (MDRG) to conduct the national survey. The firm polled more than 1000 people and discovered an eye-opening lack of knowledge about the holiday:
- 20 percent of those surveyed said they knew "a lot" about Memorial Day
- 46 percent said they knew "something"
- 31 percent said they knew "little"
- 3 percent said they knew "nothing"...
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges