Israel celebrates its 63rd Independence DayBreaking News
At Mount Herzl in Jerusalem, Israel's national cemetery, Israelis kindled 12 huge torches to signify the start of the holiday marking Israel's 63rd birthday. Soldiers marched in formation, and fireworks lit up skies across the nation on a mild spring evening.
Speaking at the ceremony, Israeli Parliament Speaker Reuven Rivlin noted that deep divisions exist within Israeli society over political and social issues. He complained that over the past year, there have been many attempts by groups to silence their opponents. "Neither side, right or left, is deserving of boycott," he said. "No ethnic group is deserving of shunning." ..........
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools