Remains of Franco's victims to remain in his tomb, Spanish government decides.Breaking News
Spain's government has dropped plans to exhume remains of victims of the Civil War that are buried alongside General Francisco Franco at his mausoleum in the hills near Madrid.
A study of the crypts at the Valley of the Fallen, which contains the remains of more than 30,000 people from both sides of the conflict, has concluded it would be "impossible" to match bones to relatives.
At least eleven families of people who died fighting on the Republican side of the 1936-39 Civil War had requested that the bones of their relatives be returned for burial elsewhere.
But a forensic team sent by Spain socialist government said such a request was "impossible to fulfill"....
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history