Abbey’s Restoration Is First Stitch to Heal a Gash in Central Italy’s LandscapeBreaking News
CASTIGLIONE A CASAURIA, Italy — A little more than two years after an earthquake destroyed broad stretches of Italy’s central Abruzzo region, this normally low-buzz community of some 900 souls was a beehive of activity.
Under sunny April skies, residents both wizened and young gathered for the much awaited reopening of the medieval Abbey of San Clemente, a beloved local landmark that was shattered by the April 6, 2009, temblor that killed more than 300 and left tens of thousands homeless.
Many were thrilled that after two years of celebrating Mass in tents, they would return to more decorous surroundings. Other reasons were more personal. “This used to be our favorite place to study,” Domenico Cantamaglia, a 19-year-old in his last year of high school, said of the lawn surrounding the church. “And in summer, it’s one of the freshest places to hang out.”
Vincenza Di Benedetto, a local woman who mused that the formerly brisk pace in wedding ceremonies would soon pick up, said: “Let’s face it, if it weren’t for the abbey, Castiglione would hardly be on the map; it’s the town’s calling card. Couples would come from all over, at least they used to.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity