Grudges Were Behind the Drive To Topple OppenheimerBreaking News
J. Robert Oppenheimer, the scientist who directed the bomb's development, chaired one body, the General Advisory Committee of the Atomic Energy Commission. Serving with him were other scientists, making the GAC the most influential and respected panel on atomic energy.
By the end of April 1954, Oppenheimer would be denied further input into U.S. nuclear policy, his strongest enemy would be hailed (wrongly) as the "father of the H-bomb," and the arms race he predicted on the spot where the first A-bomb was tested was in full and dangerous advance.
Patricia McMillan, a historian at Harvard's Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, focuses on the campaign to discredit Oppenheimer, an effort that received strong support from both President Eisenhower and FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover.
As McMillan proves, the FBI was used legally and probably illegally to build a case against the scientist. Agents not only wiretapped Oppenheimer's phones but also bugged privileged conversations between him and his attorney and gave the information to his prosecutors.
Two months before his contract with the Atomic Energy Commission would expire in '54, a kangaroo court of the AEC canceled Oppenheimer's security clearance, something that would have happened automatically when his contract ended.
McMillan argues that the move was purely punitive and personal, orchestrated by AEC Chairman Lewis Strauss and supported by Edward Teller, a former Manhattan Project colleague.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity