Duke Historian Joel Colton Dies at Age 92Historians in the News
Durham, NC - Duke historian Joel Colton, who was known to generations of students as co-author of the college textbook, "A History of the Modern World," died April 17 in Durham. He was 92.
Born August 23, 1918, in New York City, Colton specialized in modern and contemporary European history, he taught at Duke University from 1947-1989, chairing the History Department from 1967-1974.
"A History of the Modern World" was used in more than 1,000 high schools, colleges and universities and was translated into 10 languages.
At Duke, Colton also served on the executive committee of the Academic Council. From 1974-1982, he served as Director for Humanities at the Rockefeller Foundation and returned to Duke in 1982 where he taught until his retirement in 1989....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't