David Cameron says West was wrong to back dictatorsBreaking News
The Prime Minister said that popular uprisings now flaring across the Middle East showed the West had been wrong to back dictators and undemocratic regimes.
Britain and other Western countries supported Hosni Mubarak, ousted by protests in Egypt earlier this month.
Under Labour from 2004, Britain also strengthened relations with Muammar Gaddafi of Libya, whose regime is now crumbling amid violent scenes. Both Tony Blair and Gordon Brown met the Libyan dictator to promote British energy firms' interests in the country: around 150 British firms have since done business there.
The US and Britain have also been long-standing supporters of authoritarian regimes in the Gulf region including Saudi Arabia, making only limited efforts to push those rulers towards democratic reform....
comments powered by Disqus
Arnold Shcherban - 3/12/2011
You're right when stating that "the US is the main perpetrator", but incorrect designating western European nations as just the "followers" (stupid or smart).
Imperialism, i.e. maintaining a world order to secure free flow of capital, mineral and other resources by any means possible (violence, inclusive) is as native to Western capitalism, as an apple pie to America.
Thus, those European countries, in most cases, "follow" American way not by choice, but out of similarity of their socio-economic systems.
wim groeneveld - 2/23/2011
Hope that more influential media realize that this is the main reason.
The U.S. is the main perpetrator.Other countries in Europe are just stupid followers.
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy