Florida's 1836 Seminole Indian Raids
comments powered by Disqus
J.B. Bird - 8/15/2005
I believe based on the most credible sources from 1836 that the Black Seminole maroons led these raids of plantations with Seminole Indians, and probably (the military sources believed) were more instrumental than the Indians in the coordinated attacks on slave plantations. Also, the slaves themselves helped plan and execute the attacks on the plantations and then liberated themselves, making this the largest slave revolt in U.S. history.
Interested to hear what others think.
It's amazing the scope and facts of this rebellion have largely eluded academic history.
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830
- UK teaching "invented" history as EU propaganda, says Cambridge professor
- The move accelerates to show that black people have a history
- Eric Foner says he insisted on his MOOC on the Civil War being free
- Ellen Schrecker backs “National Adjunct Walkout Day” as a brilliant tactic