Nobel Peace Prize: Liu Xiaobo's missing speech
In it he compares modern China to T.S.Eliot's The Waste Land and says: "A nation, ignoring its youth and children, can build all the skyscrapers it wants, but in fact is only using its cloud-capped rise to decorate hell.".
The speech, given two years ago when he was awarded the Contemporary Chinese Contribution award, has only ever been released once, in an illegal Chinese magazine, and a copy was provided exclusively to The Daily Telegraph.
He gave it just six months before releasing Charter '08, a petition initially signed by 350 Chinese intellectuals calling for measured political reform in China. Mr Liu was arrested hours before Charter '08 was released on to the internet and is now serving an eleven year sentence for "inciting subversion"....
comments powered by Disqus
Jay Henry Janson - 12/24/2010
What China Daily Newspaper Has Been Saying Re Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Prize
Words by Liu Xiaobo you won't hear on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX or PBS. Like, "After undergoing a hundred years of colonial rule, Hong Kong has become what it is now. The mainland is so big that it certainly needs 300-years of colonization by the West to achieve Hong Kong's progress." "I even doubt 300 years are enough, Chinese people lack creativity, [they] plotted, directed and appreciated all the tragedies themselves"
published OpEdNews Saturday, December 11, 2010
- Holocaust Victims Mocked in Ohio State Band Parody Songbook
- Memphis attempt to drop name of Nathan Bedford Forrest runs into state law
- Overlooked: The 25th anniversary of Captive Nations Week
- In confession to historian, George McGovern revealed he had a secret child
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial