A Q&A With Ambassador Michael Oren
What follows are questions for Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren from Coach Kemper and IFE Journalism Interns
1. Q: As a historian and author, what 3 books would you recommend to high school students who wish to gain a better understanding of the world and the middle east in particular?
A: I would highly recommend The Siege, by Conor Cruise O'Brien; David Fromkin's A Peace to End All Peace; and Fouad Ajami's The Arab Predicament, on Arab political thought since 1967.
2. Q: What are the day to day challenges the average Israeli high school student faces that are different from other students around the world? How do they unwind?
A: Israeli teenagers face many of the same challenges as American high school students and teenagers around the world. They work hard in school, and balance their studies with social lives. Of course, Israeli students do this with the knowledge that they'll be joining the military at 18, and mentally prepare themselves accordingly....
comments powered by Disqus
- A grandmother’s trove of Civil War photos goes to Library of Congress
- Tribes See Name on Oregon Maps as Being Out of Bounds
- Holy Haystacks! Researchers Have Officially Discovered A New Monet
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
- Stanford historian looks to the U.S. Postal Service to map the boom and bust of 19th-century American West
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library