A Q&A With Ambassador Michael OrenHistorians in the News
What follows are questions for Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren from Coach Kemper and IFE Journalism Interns
1. Q: As a historian and author, what 3 books would you recommend to high school students who wish to gain a better understanding of the world and the middle east in particular?
A: I would highly recommend The Siege, by Conor Cruise O'Brien; David Fromkin's A Peace to End All Peace; and Fouad Ajami's The Arab Predicament, on Arab political thought since 1967.
2. Q: What are the day to day challenges the average Israeli high school student faces that are different from other students around the world? How do they unwind?
A: Israeli teenagers face many of the same challenges as American high school students and teenagers around the world. They work hard in school, and balance their studies with social lives. Of course, Israeli students do this with the knowledge that they'll be joining the military at 18, and mentally prepare themselves accordingly....
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)