Tourists heave menhirs to solve ancient mystery
That is what a group of 30 holiday-makers found out when they heaved on a rope to move a 4.2-tonne stone block as part of an experiment probing the mysterious history of megaliths in France's northwestern Brittany region.
"It's experimental archeology," explained Cyril Chaigneau, an architect who runs a programme on the megalithic sites of Petit Mont and Gavrinis in the Gulf of Morbihan.
"We're trying to find out how men from the neolithic period moved enormous blocks across distances of 10 kilometres (six miles) or more," he said.
In the Asterix series, the eponymous Gaul's sidekick Obelix was a menhir delivery man in the Roman era of the first century BC, but in reality the region's megaliths were carved much further back in prehistory.
No-one today knows how or why the sedentary tribes that settled 7,000 years ago on this stretch of the Atlantic coast transported and then erected the menhirs, dolmens and other huge stone steles that dot the Breton landscape....
comments powered by Disqus
polaris huang - 7/23/2010
Louis Vuitton Louis Vuitton is a French history, the most outstanding designer of leather goods.
In Paris in 1854 opened his own name the first luggage store.
A century later, Louis Vuitton luggage and leather goods in the field to become one of the best brands, and become a symbol of high society.
Today, the brand Louis Vuitton has not just design and sell high-end leather goods and luggage, but to become involved in fashion, accessories, shoes, bags, jewelry, watches, media, wines and other large areas of the trend indicators.
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston
- History Department at Connecticut College deplores Facebook post on Palestinians
- Historians join other scholars in protesting Georgia's anti-gay legislation
- Homeland Security historian builds winning case against Salvadoran leader who oversaw crimes
- What Howard Zinn taught the students of Spelman College