Locals hope Crown Heights excavation unearths Revolutionary War artifacts
Neighborhood activists hope an archaeological excavation will unearth Revolutionary War artifacts beneath Clove Road, a tiny, crumbling street.
The dig will be launched this summer - despite a study that was lukewarm on whether the street was an American outpost from the 1776 Battle of Brooklyn.
The 2002 report by the RBA Group, a private engineering and architectural firm hired by the city, found that 800 American soldiers guarded the road - then known as the Bedford Pass - in August 1776 before retreating from advancing British forces.
Even though evidence was thin that important archeological objects would be found, the report concluded the dig should go forward because it "would enhance our understanding of American defenses in Brooklyn" and "provide a glimpse" of how camp life was for the troops.
The city Transportation Department wanted to reconstruct Clove Road - a one-block stretch of cobblestones, cracked pavement and potholes - but halted its plans to wait to see what the 2002 study would find.
The project languished until Councilwoman Letitia James (WFP-Prospect Heights) provided $200,000 to fund it last year.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it can be told: The weakening of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is the crowning achievement of GOP partisans who detested the law
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Novels About Real-Life Women Are Saving Forgotten History
- Rubio becomes the first Republican presidential candidate in 2016 to admit US must confront “painful” history of racial discrimination
- CNN documentary focuses on “Nixon’s Own 9/11"
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success