Commoner marrying Swedish crown princess 'has aristocratic roots'Breaking News
Daniel Westling has been mocked for his provincial roots and country accent, and has undergone careful grooming by courtiers, language tutors and a public relations agency ahead of his wedding later this month to Crown Princess Victoria.
Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustav was reportedly initially hostile to the idea of his 32-year-old daughter marrying the commoner.
But, according to the genealogist Björn Engström, the former fitness instructor is descended from both Swedish and Finnish aristocracy.
Mr Westling can count among his distant relatives members of parliament, courtiers, royal retainers and even a woman convicted of witchcraft.
One of Mr Westling's ancestors was a member of the court of the 16th century Swedish King Karl IX and he can also trace lineage back to the aristocratic Svinhufvud family.
That connection means that he is also distantly related to Pehr Evind Svinhufvud, who was president of neighbouring Finland in the 1930s....
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport