Commoner marrying Swedish crown princess 'has aristocratic roots'Breaking News
Daniel Westling has been mocked for his provincial roots and country accent, and has undergone careful grooming by courtiers, language tutors and a public relations agency ahead of his wedding later this month to Crown Princess Victoria.
Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustav was reportedly initially hostile to the idea of his 32-year-old daughter marrying the commoner.
But, according to the genealogist Björn Engström, the former fitness instructor is descended from both Swedish and Finnish aristocracy.
Mr Westling can count among his distant relatives members of parliament, courtiers, royal retainers and even a woman convicted of witchcraft.
One of Mr Westling's ancestors was a member of the court of the 16th century Swedish King Karl IX and he can also trace lineage back to the aristocratic Svinhufvud family.
That connection means that he is also distantly related to Pehr Evind Svinhufvud, who was president of neighbouring Finland in the 1930s....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity