Los Angeles cardinal accuses Arizona of 'Nazi and Communist' immigration techniques
Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Los Angeles archdiocese made the comments as Arizona passed a bill which would require police to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are in the country illegally.
The Los Angeles archdiocese serves a large Hispanic immigrant population.
The new measure is the latest crackdown in Arizona which has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants and is the busiest border crossing point into the US.
The latest bill also allows citizens to sue government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws.
comments powered by Disqus
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- Yale’s Beinecke Library Buys Vast Collection of Lincoln Photos
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed