Los Angeles cardinal accuses Arizona of 'Nazi and Communist' immigration techniques
Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Los Angeles archdiocese made the comments as Arizona passed a bill which would require police to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are in the country illegally.
The Los Angeles archdiocese serves a large Hispanic immigrant population.
The new measure is the latest crackdown in Arizona which has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants and is the busiest border crossing point into the US.
The latest bill also allows citizens to sue government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws.
comments powered by Disqus
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished
- Once again Ken Burns turns to Geoffrey Ward to write his script, this time about the Roosevelts
- Historian warns that countries go into decline when they become rigid, oppress minorities, and become weak militarily