Poland holds state funeral for President Lech KaczynskiBreaking News
A funeral Mass was held in St Mary's Basilica and a procession later took the coffins to be buried in a crypt of the historic Wawel Cathedral.
Many world leaders could not attend due to volcanic ash grounding flights.
The coffins were then taken in a gun-carriage procession through Krakow and on to the walled castle and cathedral at Wawel for a 21-gun salute and the burial.
Thousands lined the streets, waving flags, applauding and chanting: "Lech Kaczynski! We thank you!"
The Krakow ceremonies were for family, friends and international dignitaries but were shown on screens across the city.
comments powered by Disqus
- Miami’s Watergate mystery man at heart of newly revealed CIA report
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- OAH President Nancy Cott says the Library of Congress is being politicized
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book