Poland holds state funeral for President Lech KaczynskiBreaking News
A funeral Mass was held in St Mary's Basilica and a procession later took the coffins to be buried in a crypt of the historic Wawel Cathedral.
Many world leaders could not attend due to volcanic ash grounding flights.
The coffins were then taken in a gun-carriage procession through Krakow and on to the walled castle and cathedral at Wawel for a 21-gun salute and the burial.
Thousands lined the streets, waving flags, applauding and chanting: "Lech Kaczynski! We thank you!"
The Krakow ceremonies were for family, friends and international dignitaries but were shown on screens across the city.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders
- Intellectual historians to gather in October
- Yuri N. Afanasyev, Historian Who Repudiated Communism, Dies at 81
- History professor gives Pittsburgh, PA columnist an “F” for a op ed on slavery
- Sharon Ullman says the work of historians is becoming increasingly invisible