Poland holds state funeral for President Lech Kaczynski
A funeral Mass was held in St Mary's Basilica and a procession later took the coffins to be buried in a crypt of the historic Wawel Cathedral.
Many world leaders could not attend due to volcanic ash grounding flights.
The coffins were then taken in a gun-carriage procession through Krakow and on to the walled castle and cathedral at Wawel for a 21-gun salute and the burial.
Thousands lined the streets, waving flags, applauding and chanting: "Lech Kaczynski! We thank you!"
The Krakow ceremonies were for family, friends and international dignitaries but were shown on screens across the city.
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?