Nazi-era soap a controversial collectibleBreaking News
Inside a cramped collectibles shop on St. Laurent Blvd., Abraham Botines claims he bought the bar of soap off a Canadian soldier who found it in a concentration camp.
Described as yellowish and adorned with a swastika, his son, Ivan, who owns the store, said its ingredients are uncertain, but potentially disturbing.
"I can only tell you what (Abraham) told me, which is it was probably made from human fat or grease," he said.
The elder Botines, who describes himself as an observant Jew, has a collection of Nazi-era artefacts, including cigarettes bearing the Third Reich symbol, medallions and badges.
Both Botines men insist they's not promoting hate, they're simply collectors.
"It makes us different from other stores. It's part of history. It's not something I would want to be forgotten," said Ivan Botines.
Soap a myth?
During World War II, it was widely believed soap was being mass-produced from the bodies of Jewish victims.
Many historians, however, say it's not true.
"We have never found any evidence that soap was made from the remains of murdered Jews," said Frank Chalk, a history professor at Concordia University.
Jewish groups outraged
That the store even sells such an object outrages Jewish groups, like B'Nai Brith.
"We think this is an indignity," said Heidi Oppen of B'nai Brith Canada. "This is a disappointment to the Jewish community and to non-Jews, especially with Holocaust Remembrance Day around the corner. This is just awful."
Botines said he tried to sell the soap to the Holocaust Museum, but they refused to pay because they feel profiting off such objects is disrespectful to Holocaust survivors.
"Seeing those objects sold and valued, I find that actually horrifying. That shows a great lack of respect for society -- for human life," said Alice Herscovitch of the Montreal Holocaust Centre.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity