Kim Jong-il predicted to die before 2013Breaking News
Kurt Campbell, the assistant US Secretary of State, told ambassador Kathleen Stephens, a South Korean politician and activists in a closed-door session that he doubted the 68-year-old leader would live beyond 2013, South Korea's Chosun Ilbo newspaper said.
Mr Campbell based his estimate on medical information, the report said, citing unidentified sources.
The estimate comes after a state-run South Korean think tank, the Korea Institute for National Unification, said in a January report that Kim Jong Il probably wouldn't survive past 2012. It cited no specific evidence for the estimate.
The report comes amid speculation that the autocratic leader is preparing to hand power over to one of his sons.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- Textbook publisher apologizes for passage referring to slavery as immigration
- 60 Minutes interviews the priest who’s made it his mission to expose the forgotten victims of the Holocaust
- ISIS Destroys Triumphal Arches in Palmyra, Syria
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders
- Intellectual historians to gather in October
- Yuri N. Afanasyev, Historian Who Repudiated Communism, Dies at 81