Kim Jong-il predicted to die before 2013Breaking News
Kurt Campbell, the assistant US Secretary of State, told ambassador Kathleen Stephens, a South Korean politician and activists in a closed-door session that he doubted the 68-year-old leader would live beyond 2013, South Korea's Chosun Ilbo newspaper said.
Mr Campbell based his estimate on medical information, the report said, citing unidentified sources.
The estimate comes after a state-run South Korean think tank, the Korea Institute for National Unification, said in a January report that Kim Jong Il probably wouldn't survive past 2012. It cited no specific evidence for the estimate.
The report comes amid speculation that the autocratic leader is preparing to hand power over to one of his sons.
comments powered by Disqus
- Hillary Clinton Isn’t First Politician to Face Criticism Over Speaking Fees
- Sneak peek of new Smithsonian shows rich black history
- Missouri woman builds slave cabin to bring community together
- German students dressed like Hitler made to visit Argentina Holocaust Museum
- Think Hillary Clinton Will Win in a Landslide? Don’t Bet on It
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton
- Email from historians' group sparks debate about individual liability insurance offered by professional associations
- LGBTQ History in Public Schools Is the Next Gay Rights Frontier says PhD student
- The AP and other news outlets are giving wide attention to the proposal to create a White House Council of Historical Advisors