From political maverick to historical footnote
And the name of this woman who made history but now seems to be completely forgotten?
Katharine (Kitty) Murray, the Duchess of Atholl and the MP for Kinross and West Perthshire from 1923 to 1938.
She maintained a woman's place was in the home, even speaking against votes for women - but ended up in the most prestigious boys' club of them all, becoming our first MP.
When she first entered Westminster she was one of only eight women elected as MPs from across Britain.
From the start she was a model Conservative MP, loyal and hard-working.
But something happened in the 1930s to change all that. And she became a bit of a political maverick.
comments powered by Disqus
- 1,000 + have signed a petition protesting US government plan to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland