Football programme signed by Eisenhower weeks before D-Day to be soldBreaking News
Dwight D Eisenhower attended the Football League War Cup between Charlton and Chelsea on April 15 1944 in a move aimed at fooling Hitler and the Nazis into believing that the Normandy Landings were not imminent.
The five star General was introduced to the players on the pitch and even handed the cup to Charlton captain Don Welsh after the 3-1 win on April 15 1944.
At the time it was critical to the invasion that the Nazis didn't receive any intelligence about D-Day, codenamed Operation Overlord.
His appearance was highly publicised in a bid to fool Hitler into thinking the Allies were on the back foot.
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide