Football programme signed by Eisenhower weeks before D-Day to be sold
Dwight D Eisenhower attended the Football League War Cup between Charlton and Chelsea on April 15 1944 in a move aimed at fooling Hitler and the Nazis into believing that the Normandy Landings were not imminent.
The five star General was introduced to the players on the pitch and even handed the cup to Charlton captain Don Welsh after the 3-1 win on April 15 1944.
At the time it was critical to the invasion that the Nazis didn't receive any intelligence about D-Day, codenamed Operation Overlord.
His appearance was highly publicised in a bid to fool Hitler into thinking the Allies were on the back foot.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita