Football programme signed by Eisenhower weeks before D-Day to be sold
Dwight D Eisenhower attended the Football League War Cup between Charlton and Chelsea on April 15 1944 in a move aimed at fooling Hitler and the Nazis into believing that the Normandy Landings were not imminent.
The five star General was introduced to the players on the pitch and even handed the cup to Charlton captain Don Welsh after the 3-1 win on April 15 1944.
At the time it was critical to the invasion that the Nazis didn't receive any intelligence about D-Day, codenamed Operation Overlord.
His appearance was highly publicised in a bid to fool Hitler into thinking the Allies were on the back foot.
comments powered by Disqus
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day
- Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830