Football programme signed by Eisenhower weeks before D-Day to be sold
Dwight D Eisenhower attended the Football League War Cup between Charlton and Chelsea on April 15 1944 in a move aimed at fooling Hitler and the Nazis into believing that the Normandy Landings were not imminent.
The five star General was introduced to the players on the pitch and even handed the cup to Charlton captain Don Welsh after the 3-1 win on April 15 1944.
At the time it was critical to the invasion that the Nazis didn't receive any intelligence about D-Day, codenamed Operation Overlord.
His appearance was highly publicised in a bid to fool Hitler into thinking the Allies were on the back foot.
comments powered by Disqus
- New Churchill Museum director shares vision
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome