Football programme signed by Eisenhower weeks before D-Day to be sold
Dwight D Eisenhower attended the Football League War Cup between Charlton and Chelsea on April 15 1944 in a move aimed at fooling Hitler and the Nazis into believing that the Normandy Landings were not imminent.
The five star General was introduced to the players on the pitch and even handed the cup to Charlton captain Don Welsh after the 3-1 win on April 15 1944.
At the time it was critical to the invasion that the Nazis didn't receive any intelligence about D-Day, codenamed Operation Overlord.
His appearance was highly publicised in a bid to fool Hitler into thinking the Allies were on the back foot.
comments powered by Disqus
- Russian historian slams Putin
- Historians and archivists say the NY Public Library no longer functions as a world-class research library
- WaPo chastised for ignoring Venona Papers in obit for Allen Weinstein
- In gay marriage decision, Supreme Court turns to historians for insight
- Sam Haselby argues religion trumps politics in his new book