John Edwards scandal takes new twist with compromising video tapeBreaking News
The forthcoming publication of The Politician by Andrew Young, Mr Edwards's long serving assistant, had already forced the Democratic Party's vice-presidential candidate in 2004 to admit paternity of a two-year-old girl born to Rielle Hunter, who had worked as a campaign videographer.
Excerpts made available yesterday portrayed the former North Carolina senator and early frontrunner in the 2008 primary campaign as obsessed with his hair, irredeemably deceptive and contemptuous of his supporters.
He allegedly once told Mr Young that he disliked appearing at state fairs where "fat rednecks try to shove food down my face. I know I'm the people's senator, but do I have to hang out with them?" The book also describes Mr Young's shock at finding a compromising videotape of Mr Edwards and a naked, pregnant Miss Hunter.
Neither she nor her husband has commented on the book. His political career in ruins, Mr Edwards spent part of last week in Haiti helping with relief efforts.
comments powered by Disqus
- Steve Bannon Vows ‘War’ on His Own Party. It Didn’t Work So Well for F.D.R.
- Tom Hanks: 'If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history'
- 9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history
- Charleston's International African American Museum's big plans
- What’s inside the secret JFK assassination files?
- Presidential historian Michael Beschloss explains the significance of yesterday’s Bush-Obama attack on Trump
- Russian minister keeps doctorate despite plagiarism claims
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian