Winnie Mandela threatens legal action over filmBreaking News
The film is likely to detail the fraud, kidnapping and murder controversies that have surrounded the anti-apartheid leader's former wife.
Mrs Madikizela-Mandela, as she has been known since her divorce from Mr Mandela in 1996, is one of South Africa's most controversial and divisive figures.
She is revered in some quarters as the "Mother of the Nation" for her role in the struggle, the harassment she suffered from the white authorities, and her populist rhetoric that still appeals to South Africa's poor.
But for others she is reviled. She once notoriously declared that "with our boxes of matches and our necklaces, we shall liberate this country", referring to the preferred way of killing suspected informers in the townships, setting fire to a petrol-filled tyre around their necks, so ensuring an agonising death.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history