Maui diver finds World War II wreckageBreaking News
"Right now all the indications are it leans to a plane that was lost in 1945," Brad Varney said.
The Maui scuba tour operator found the wreckage Wednesday, acting on a tip.
"A local fisherman happened to come into the shop and mention that he was trying to catch some fish under the wings of a plane. I'm like, 'What plane?'" Varney said.
He's a history buff. He said the plane appears to be a World War II U.S. Navy dive bomber. The Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless saved America during the Battle of Midway.
"We were on the ropes. We were behind. We were losing. This aircraft turned the tide," said Scotty Scott of the Pacific Aviation Museum.
A replica hangs at the museum.
The single-engine two-man bomber could reach speeds of 250 mph, carrying ammunition and a 1,000-pound payload.
The United States had over 2,000 of them.
In June the wreckage of another Dauntless was pulled from Lake Michigan. Now this one has been found.
"It's fascinating that it's there and nobody has found it before now and there's more out there," Scott said.
Varney said the plane is off the beaten path. That may explain why it's gone undiscovered.
The Navy is investigating how it got there so he has been ordered not to divulge its exact location.
He said it appears the pilot and gunner got out safely.
"There's still gauges in there Most of the controls are still in there. The cowling's pushed back where the pilot got out. But it's in pretty good shape," he said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity