David Starkey Announces 3.3 Million Campaign to Save the Staffordshire Hoard for the West MidlandsBreaking News
The Art Fund’s new Director, Dr Stephen Deuchar, kick-started the public appeal by announcing an initial Art Fund grant of £300,000 and by unveiling the official donation website www.artfund.org/hoard. Birmingham City Council which runs Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery , announced that it is giving an initial £100,000 towards the campaign, and Stoke-on-Trent City Council which runs the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery will also give £100,000 bringing the sum already raised already to £500,000.
Dr David Starkey said: "Archaeological finds don't come any bigger than this. The Staffordshire Hoard is the largest and most valuable collection of Anglo-Saxon gold ever; it's the most important find for over half a century, and, in terms of the history of Middle England, the most important ever. But break it up or move it and its meaning is lost. It must stay here, together and intact, to be studied and displayed here in the West Midlands , the foundation of whose history it will now become."
comments powered by Disqus
nerriwy wang - 1/14/2010
Bridal retailer, Wedding dresses,Bridal dresses,Cheap wedding dresses,Inexpensive wedding dresses,
Cheap wedding gowns,Bridal wedding dress,Wedding website
Flower Girl Dresses
Party, Evening and Celebrity dresses – endless selection of styles, colours and the latest celebrity trends in the Goddiva boutique at fantastic prices
Mother Of The Bride Dresses
cheap wedding dresses
Dresses, evening, cocktail, prom dresses, formal gowns from eDressMe. Homecoming dresses and bridesmaid
- From Germany to Mexico: How America’s source of immigrants has changed over a century
- Scholars doing oral history are finally off the hook! The federal government has granted them an exemption from IRBs
- Confederate Flag Supporters Indicted Under Georgia's Anti-Gang Law
- One of King Henry V's 'great ships' likely found in England
- Georgia's Stone Mountain to be topped by MLK tribute
- Tim Naftali: declassified documents reveal a cunning and cagey president
- Call to help Moroccan historian Maâti Monjib, who has been on hunger strike since 6 October 2015
- Charles Gillispie, trailblazer in the history of science, dies at 97
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow