Obama's America remembers LincolnBreaking News
Events across the nation marked the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth, celebrating a man widely seen as the greatest US president - the secular saint who redeemed America's original sin of slavery.
Mr Obama has been compared to Lincoln - the lanky junior politician from Illinois who captured the presidency on the strength of his oratory, proving that anyone can make to the White House.
But amid the commemorations, it is easy to forget that Lincoln - a civil-war president - never lacked for critics. Even in this anniversary year, there has been vigorous debate over his legacy.
comments powered by Disqus
Donald Wolberg - 12/31/2009
One must blink twice when comparisons between Mr. Obama and Mr. lincoln surface. Certainly the most failure prone President since Mr. Carter, the only similarities that come to mind between Mr. Lincoln and Mr. Obama are having Illinois connections and wives that seemed to spend lots of money on the superficialities of life. Mr. Obama has neither the experience, wit nor the capabilities of Mr. Lincoln and shares more in these characteristics with the strident and humorless Mr. Carter in the deficit column. Failures of concept and operation in domestic policy, military policy and foreign policy seem to stick to the Obama administration as never before seen since Mr. Carter. One would suggest that comparisons to Mr. Carter would be more appropriate that those to Mr. Lincoln.
Vernon Clayson - 12/30/2009
Don't get all maudlin about this comparison, Lincoln's primary reasons were far removed and far more inmportant to the nation than freeing slaves. That aspect was an incidental byproduct of keeping the nation united and his assassination wasn't from his slavery initiatives, the slayer considered him a tyrant, not an emancipator, that label came later.
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize