Sigmund Freud saved by Nazi admirerBreaking News
The fate of Freud and his family in Vienna hung in the balance after Hitler’s forces took over Austria in 1938. The psychoanalyst was first protected, then helped to escape to Britain, by Anton Sauerwald, a Nazi who had been put in charge of his assets.
In twists of Freudian complexity, Sauerwald was put on trial after the second world war accused of plundering the Freud family wealth — only to be saved after the intervention of one of Freud’s daughters.
The full story has emerged thanks to research by David Cohen, author of The Escape of Sigmund Freud, published by JR Books.
By the 1930s Freud was famous in Europe and the United States for his pioneering work on the unconscious. He had founded the International Psychoanalytical Association with Carl Jung and helped to start a publishing business.
His success had brought financial rewards and the family lived comfortably in Vienna. However, the Nazis ordered all Jews to declare their wealth and asserted that “all Jewish assets are assumed to have been improperly acquired”.
comments powered by Disqus
Myron Robert Hafetz - 12/28/2009
Mussolini's Jewish mistress, the British Home Secretary, John Wiley, Ambassador Bullit, Dr. Ernest Jones, and mostly Anna Freud. Sauerwald did not SAVE Freud! He helped him get his furniture and art objects to London and made sure a will was kept secret where mention was made of some foreign money. Cohen's book is another opportunistic rehashing of already known history in the continuing search for the "not so bad Nazi". A real historical contribution would be the publication of Sauerwald's People's Court Trials where even though he
was found innocent much unknown information about him would be discovered. I am finding that
obtaining these transcripts from
Landesgericht fur Strafsachen Wien
is harder than crashing a White House
Myron Robert Hafetz - 12/28/2009
Most of Cohen's material has been in print for years including Anna Freud's
character reference for Sauerwald's People's Court trials. Much effort went into Freud's exit from Austria and included a wide range of people such as Princess Marie Bonaparte,
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity