Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of Slavery
The Nevada Democrat, in a sweeping set of accusations on the Senate floor, also compared health care foes to those who opposed women's suffrage and the civil rights movement -- even though it was Sen. Strom Thurmond, then a Democrat, who unsuccessfully tried to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and it was Republicans who led the charge against slavery.
Senate Republicans on Monday called Reid's comments "offensive" and "unbelievable."
But Reid argued that Republicans are using the same stalling tactics employed in the pre-Civil War era.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 12/8/2009
Nice try at a redirect, and historicalish outrage. Reid was not saying that the Republicans now are like the Republicans then, he said that opponents of health care reform now are like opponents of slavery abolition then: on the wrong side of history and justice.
Besides, the Republicans got the Dixiecrats in the 60s, so nobody gets to crow about their 19th century party roots.
Communism wouldn't actually require that people pay for their health insurance.
Timothy Smothers - 12/8/2009
Senator Reid needs to be reminded that it was the Southern Democrats who started the Civil War so they could continue to expand their slavery to other states, and it was the Majority Republicans who opposed slavery let alone expanding it. To accuse the Republicans of this type of disgrace is like saying the Democrat party had no part in the slavery back then. He is a disgrace to his party and to the countryand should be removed from his seat.
In my view forcing the people to buy health insurance or be fined and go to jail is Slavery to the Federal Government as well as downright Communism.
We do need healthcare reform. However this type of reform is not what we need.
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns is in a race to slow us down
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Colorado school board, worried about the new AP framework, wants to make sure high school kids are taught patriotic history