Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of SlaveryBreaking News
The Nevada Democrat, in a sweeping set of accusations on the Senate floor, also compared health care foes to those who opposed women's suffrage and the civil rights movement -- even though it was Sen. Strom Thurmond, then a Democrat, who unsuccessfully tried to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and it was Republicans who led the charge against slavery.
Senate Republicans on Monday called Reid's comments "offensive" and "unbelievable."
But Reid argued that Republicans are using the same stalling tactics employed in the pre-Civil War era.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 12/8/2009
Nice try at a redirect, and historicalish outrage. Reid was not saying that the Republicans now are like the Republicans then, he said that opponents of health care reform now are like opponents of slavery abolition then: on the wrong side of history and justice.
Besides, the Republicans got the Dixiecrats in the 60s, so nobody gets to crow about their 19th century party roots.
Communism wouldn't actually require that people pay for their health insurance.
Timothy Smothers - 12/8/2009
Senator Reid needs to be reminded that it was the Southern Democrats who started the Civil War so they could continue to expand their slavery to other states, and it was the Majority Republicans who opposed slavery let alone expanding it. To accuse the Republicans of this type of disgrace is like saying the Democrat party had no part in the slavery back then. He is a disgrace to his party and to the countryand should be removed from his seat.
In my view forcing the people to buy health insurance or be fined and go to jail is Slavery to the Federal Government as well as downright Communism.
We do need healthcare reform. However this type of reform is not what we need.
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize