Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of SlaveryBreaking News
The Nevada Democrat, in a sweeping set of accusations on the Senate floor, also compared health care foes to those who opposed women's suffrage and the civil rights movement -- even though it was Sen. Strom Thurmond, then a Democrat, who unsuccessfully tried to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and it was Republicans who led the charge against slavery.
Senate Republicans on Monday called Reid's comments "offensive" and "unbelievable."
But Reid argued that Republicans are using the same stalling tactics employed in the pre-Civil War era.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 12/8/2009
Nice try at a redirect, and historicalish outrage. Reid was not saying that the Republicans now are like the Republicans then, he said that opponents of health care reform now are like opponents of slavery abolition then: on the wrong side of history and justice.
Besides, the Republicans got the Dixiecrats in the 60s, so nobody gets to crow about their 19th century party roots.
Communism wouldn't actually require that people pay for their health insurance.
Timothy Smothers - 12/8/2009
Senator Reid needs to be reminded that it was the Southern Democrats who started the Civil War so they could continue to expand their slavery to other states, and it was the Majority Republicans who opposed slavery let alone expanding it. To accuse the Republicans of this type of disgrace is like saying the Democrat party had no part in the slavery back then. He is a disgrace to his party and to the countryand should be removed from his seat.
In my view forcing the people to buy health insurance or be fined and go to jail is Slavery to the Federal Government as well as downright Communism.
We do need healthcare reform. However this type of reform is not what we need.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges