Discovery of Pearl Harbor Mini-Sub Reportedly Might Solve Longstanding MysteryBreaking News
The discovery provides evidence that the submarine fired its torpedoes at Battleship Row and could therefore resolve a long-standing dispute among historians, the paper reports.
Five mini-submarines were intended to be used to launch a strike against Pearl Harbor, but four ended up not being used for various reasons, the paper reports. No one knew what happened with the fifth sub.
comments powered by Disqus
John Nicholas - 12/9/2009
The notion that a midget submarine attacked Battleship Row and hit OKLAHOMA has been around for a few years, and relies on some very shaky analysis of aerial photography and the willful dismissal of some rather inconvenient math. These latest stories add another dubious element, the notion that aerial torpedoes
could not cause damage of the scale seen on OKLAHOMA (incidentally, the midget subs carried fairly small 18-inch torpedoes, not the standard 21-inch torpedoes). In any case, there are no torpedoes left to allot to this alleged midget attack on OKLAHOMA.
There were five midget submarines. The U.S. Navy designated them Midgets A to E, in the order in which they were encountered. Midget A was sunk by destroyer WARD outside the harbor mouth before the air attack. Midget B was detected during the air attack on the northwest side of Ford Island--i.e. the side opposite to Battleship Row--fired its torpedoes, and was sunk by destroyer MONAGHAN. Midget C washed up on Oahu with its torpedoes aboard and was recovered; the sole survivor of the midget sub contingent, Ensign Sakamaki, was from this boat. Midget D was found off Pearl Harbor in 1960 with its torpedoes still on board. Midget E has never been found, but a midget--which by process of elimination, had to be this one--fired torpedoes at cruiser ST. LOUIS just outside the harbor on 7 December. Unless all of the sightings of torpedoes in this attack were a delusion, there is no possibility that a midget submarine attacked Battleship Row.
From my friend Keith Allen - John Nicholas
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't