Village of the 'cloned': Mystery of Brazil's 'Mengele' twinsBreaking News
Could Mengele -- who fled to South America in 1949 -- have had a hand in the bizarre outbreak of Germanic twins in Candido Godoi, Brazil?
That's the puzzle the National Geographic Channel tries to solve in its latest documentary, "Nazi Mystery: Twins from Brazil," which airs tonight at 9 p.m.
The show pits Argentine historian and journalist Jorge Camarasa against Mengele expert Gerald Posner.
Camarasa grabbed headlines around the world when he published a book in January touting his theory that Mengele not only traveled to Candido Godoi in the 1960s, he posed at various times as a vet and a doctor who treated pregnant women.
But Posner, who has examined just about every top-secret document filed by Argentine, Brazilian and Israeli authorities on Mengele, is unequivocally convinced that Mengele never visited the remote village.
Weighing in as a neutral arbiter is a team of geneticists and biologists from Porto Alegre in southern Brazil, who visited Candido Godoi to gather bloodwork from every living mother who has given birth to twins -- a staggering percentage of the tiny town's population.
comments powered by Disqus
John R. Maass - 11/30/2009
Natl Geog channel had a show on this Sunday 11/29, debunks mengele connection.
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)