Twenty years after Berlin, Palestinians crack Israel's wallBreaking News
During a weekly protest against the barrier, which cuts through the Ramallah-area village's center and isolates residents from 60 percent of their farmland, some 300 demonstrators methodically dismantled a concrete section before Israeli forces opened fire...
... "Twenty years ago, no one imagined that the monstrosity that divided Berlin would ever be taken down, but it took only two days to do it," participant Muhib Hawaja told the Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth.
"Today we proved that we too can pull it off, right here and right now. That is our land beyond the barrier, and we have no intention of ceding it. We will triumph because justice is on our side," he added.
comments powered by Disqus
Donald Wolberg - 11/11/2009
Of course wallas a re constructed to keep in or keep out. The Berlin Wall owed its origin to the failures of the communist state of East Germany and its real owner, the rotted Soviet Union. East Germans risked death to flee to the West and freedom and opportunity. Unfortunately Israel needs walls to protect its citizens aginst a violence and terror of that is ingrained and a seemingly necessasry component of the local Arab population. Of course many of that population would wish that the criminals in its midst were gone, but ehy remain. Of course many in that population would wish that Israel did not exist, but would not commit criminal act to kill innocents. So, there are walls that are necessary and just, and walls that are not; the walls in Israel are just.
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award