Twenty years after Berlin, Palestinians crack Israel's wall
During a weekly protest against the barrier, which cuts through the Ramallah-area village's center and isolates residents from 60 percent of their farmland, some 300 demonstrators methodically dismantled a concrete section before Israeli forces opened fire...
... "Twenty years ago, no one imagined that the monstrosity that divided Berlin would ever be taken down, but it took only two days to do it," participant Muhib Hawaja told the Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth.
"Today we proved that we too can pull it off, right here and right now. That is our land beyond the barrier, and we have no intention of ceding it. We will triumph because justice is on our side," he added.
comments powered by Disqus
Donald Wolberg - 11/11/2009
Of course wallas a re constructed to keep in or keep out. The Berlin Wall owed its origin to the failures of the communist state of East Germany and its real owner, the rotted Soviet Union. East Germans risked death to flee to the West and freedom and opportunity. Unfortunately Israel needs walls to protect its citizens aginst a violence and terror of that is ingrained and a seemingly necessasry component of the local Arab population. Of course many of that population would wish that the criminals in its midst were gone, but ehy remain. Of course many in that population would wish that Israel did not exist, but would not commit criminal act to kill innocents. So, there are walls that are necessary and just, and walls that are not; the walls in Israel are just.
- Holocaust Victims Mocked in Ohio State Band Parody Songbook
- Memphis attempt to drop name of Nathan Bedford Forrest runs into state law
- Overlooked: The 25th anniversary of Captive Nations Week
- In confession to historian, George McGovern revealed he had a secret child
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial