Sarkozy posts Berlin Wall photoBreaking News
The image shows Mr Sarkozy, then a 34-year-old French MP, standing before a graffiti-covered section of the wall.
His caption dates the image to 9 November 1989, but French observers say it was probably taken the next day.
In the caption, the French president says he arrived in West Berlin with a group of French politicians on the morning of 9 November, crossed Checkpoint Charlie to the East, and headed for the Brandenburg gates.
However, French commentators point to a possible mix-up of the dates.
They say news of the collapse did not come until late in the day on 9 November, and West Berliners did not begin attacking the Wall until the following day.
comments powered by Disqus
- A ‘Quest for Justice’ for Murdered Civil Rights Pioneer, 52 Years Later
- Under Trump, Most Americans Lack Basic Knowledge to Understand Current Events, Study Finds
- Trump wants a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4th
- What Happens When an Entire Campus Is Rooted in the Confederacy?
- Short film reveals the terrible history of No Irish Need Apply
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar
- Peter Dreier calls on Americans to build monuments to liberal heroes