Sarkozy posts Berlin Wall photoBreaking News
The image shows Mr Sarkozy, then a 34-year-old French MP, standing before a graffiti-covered section of the wall.
His caption dates the image to 9 November 1989, but French observers say it was probably taken the next day.
In the caption, the French president says he arrived in West Berlin with a group of French politicians on the morning of 9 November, crossed Checkpoint Charlie to the East, and headed for the Brandenburg gates.
However, French commentators point to a possible mix-up of the dates.
They say news of the collapse did not come until late in the day on 9 November, and West Berliners did not begin attacking the Wall until the following day.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history