CNSNews Questions White House Official's Praise for Mao
When questioned last week after a video of her speech surfaced, however, Dunn said she was using “irony” in reference to Mao. A leading expert on China told CNSNews.com that Dunn’s remarks were “pathetic,” given the human rights atrocities committed under Mao’s reign.
As first shown on Fox News Channel’s “Glenn Beck” show on Thursday, Oct. 15, in the video Dunn told graduating high school students that Mao and Mother Teresa, the Catholic nun known for aiding the poor, were examples of people who did not give up, and did their own thing to make a difference in the world.
comments powered by Disqus
Jeremy Alan Perron - 11/10/2009
Sorry, but what was the joke exactly? I read that the White House stated that the context was off but did not say what the context was.
Jonathan Dresner - 11/9/2009
She was kidding, you humorless drone.
Jeremy Alan Perron - 11/9/2009
Maybe but White House officals should not be giving praise to Mao.
Jonathan Dresner - 10/21/2009
The "leading expert" they cite is someone whose anti-communist perspective constitutes a pathological bias, and the article then cites his Black Book of Communism -- which uses absurd mathematical and ahistorical tricks to inflate the death tolls of Soviet and Chinese society, downplay Nazi atrocities and implicitly ignores non-Communist political violence -- as if it were a separate source, rather than essentially the same thing.
It would be interesting to get some actual Chinese scholars to comment, but that wouldn't have fit the bias of the article.
- 150 Years Later: Columbia, South Carolina wants the world to remember it also burned down in the Civil War
- ‘Bite-sized’ history textbooks used in the UK accused of ‘dumbing down’ the subject: should we be worried?
- Tut’s beard glued back on like a bad craft project
- Smithsonian working to finalize deal for new site in London
- The voices of Auschwitz
- Australian historian Alan Atkinson wins $100,000 literary prize
- From his perch in Saudi Arabia, Princeton’s Mark Cohen says Jews and Muslims should remember they used to get along
- Duke honors historian John Hope Franklin with year-long series of events
- What New Left History Gave Us
- Marcus Borg, Liberal Christian Scholar, Dies at 72