Amazon tribe has just five members left
The eldest member of the tribe, Ururu, who was considered the matriarch of the last six survivors, died earlier this month.
Her death has drawn attention to the plight of the tribe, whose members are all aged between 25 and 50.
The onslaught of road-building, agriculture and logging have over the decades eroded their way of life and threatened their very existence. Dozens of members of the tribe were reportedly massacred in 1990 during the arrival of migrant workers.
Their case only came to light in 1995 when they were first contacted by investigators who were seeking to gain greater knowledge of who populated their region.
comments powered by Disqus
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Martin Amis’s ‘Zone of Interest’ Makes European Publishers Squirm
- Urban Outfitters Features "Vintage" Red-Stained Kent State Sweatshirt
- Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds
- Do You Have Snippets of the Star-Spangled Banner?