Amazon tribe has just five members leftBreaking News
The eldest member of the tribe, Ururu, who was considered the matriarch of the last six survivors, died earlier this month.
Her death has drawn attention to the plight of the tribe, whose members are all aged between 25 and 50.
The onslaught of road-building, agriculture and logging have over the decades eroded their way of life and threatened their very existence. Dozens of members of the tribe were reportedly massacred in 1990 during the arrival of migrant workers.
Their case only came to light in 1995 when they were first contacted by investigators who were seeking to gain greater knowledge of who populated their region.
comments powered by Disqus
- Why You Should Feel Free to Ignore Polls for a Few Weeks
- Neanderthals in Germany Went Extinct Right After Population Peak
- A Worker Broke a Window at Yale and Shed Light on History
- Which Barack Obama speech is the one for the history books?
- A Brief History Of Spousal Speeches At Political Conventions