Conservative media watchdog report: Identical Unemployment Numbers ‘Good’ News for Obama, But ‘All’ Bad under Reagan
Under Obama reporters have gone to great lengths to spin rising unemployment by finding “positive trends” in the job losses, even focusing on as few as 25 jobs being “saved” by the economic stimulus package. But when Reagan was president journalists showed unemployed families living out of their cars under a bridge in Texas and quoted Democrats or union leaders’ attacks on the president’s “wicked” and “sadistic” fiscal policies.
ABC’s George Stephanopoulos looked on the bright side for Obama Sept. 4, 2009, telling viewers, “the unemployment rate nears 10 percent, but the numbers aren’t all bad.” Rewind to May 7, 1982, when unemployment hit 9.4 percent – three-tenths of a percentage point lower than it would be in August 2009. That night, NBC found people in Seattle in dire straights.
“The lines for free food at food banks are four times what they were six months ago,” NBC’s Don Oliver told “Nightly News” viewers. Oliver’s report focused on the “new poor” and the emotional effects of unemployment, including suicide and battering.
comments powered by Disqus
David Keith Stanford - 10/2/2009
Have we forgotten that it was Reagan and the conservative's policies that created the high unemployment rates?
Obama inherited a devistated economy caused by Bush and Co.
Ernest T Spoon - 10/2/2009
"You can't help those who simply will not be helped. One problem that we've had, even in the best of times, is people who are sleeping on the grates, the homeless who are homeless, you might say, by choice." -- President Reagan, 1/31/84, on Good Morning America, defending his administration against charges of callousness.
- What Americans Don’t Want to See in a President
- Revealed: How the gruesome Operation Condor kidnapped and tortured and killed people
- Returning the Spoils of World War II, Taken by Americans
- Nazi-confiscated painting returned to heir of Jewish art historian
- Bobby Jindal book on lessons of history coming in October
- This is just one reason Eric Burns decided to write a whole book about the year 1920
- Historian traces racist origin of Louisiana law allowing 10-2 jury verdicts
- Israel Museum turns Yuval Noah Harari's "Brief History of Humankind" into exhibit
- What Niall Ferguson's been tweeting lately
- Scholar of Urban Riots: Expect More Unrest