Roman 'disaster' that shaped EuropeBreaking News
Adrian Murdoch believes it was a decisive moment in the development of the West.
The importance of the battle to modern Germany is such that the anniversary has been marked by three separate exhibitions on the battle, opened by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 10/4/2009
If the Roman empire had won at Totenburg would that have substantially changed the empire? Would the influx of Germans learning the ways of the metropolitan Romans altered their behavior in the coming centuries? Would it have strengthened Rome or weakened it or done nothing substantial too it?
Gordon badham - 10/2/2009
The Varian disaster changed Imperial policy on the Rhine and other frontiers; Augustus 'froze' the Imperial boundaries. The failure to 'Romanise' the Germanic peoples ultimately doesn't matter.
Given the systemic failure of its governance, taxation, currency and agriculture nothing could save the Western Empire. Salamis is another story.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges