History in danger as only 30% of pupils take subject at GCSE (UK)Breaking News
Three out of ten schools no longer teach history as a stand-alone subject for Key Stage 3, despite it being a compulsory part of the curriculum.
One school admitted that it taught the whole of the three-year course in just 38 hours - about one hour a week for one school year.
The 'national scandal' was highlighted yesterday by a survey that found just 30 per cent of pupils studied history for GCSE.
comments powered by Disqus
Elizabeth Cregan - 9/15/2009
I am beyond appalled at the idea of my child not having History in school. Over the years I have found that knowledge of history is the number one, key tool one can have in being a well informed citizen and voter. Knowing, not only what made this country, how it has functioned historically on a global scale, but also how the world has functioned historically is probably the most important thing we need to know.
I understnad that history may not repeat itself, but every day, we as a collective group of humans, seem to.
Perhaps we shouldl consider the fact that it is not history itself that we do not need, but the manner in which is taught my require some tweaking. History needs to be presented as an applied science of sorts, not a year's worth of rote memorization. I am working on becoming a secondary history teacher, and I am praying I will be able to pass on the realization of teh importance of the subject to my sudents. I actually consider the realization of the fact more important than the subject itself, considering the current view of it. SOOOO ANGRY!
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”