History in danger as only 30% of pupils take subject at GCSE (UK)Breaking News
Three out of ten schools no longer teach history as a stand-alone subject for Key Stage 3, despite it being a compulsory part of the curriculum.
One school admitted that it taught the whole of the three-year course in just 38 hours - about one hour a week for one school year.
The 'national scandal' was highlighted yesterday by a survey that found just 30 per cent of pupils studied history for GCSE.
comments powered by Disqus
Elizabeth Cregan - 9/15/2009
I am beyond appalled at the idea of my child not having History in school. Over the years I have found that knowledge of history is the number one, key tool one can have in being a well informed citizen and voter. Knowing, not only what made this country, how it has functioned historically on a global scale, but also how the world has functioned historically is probably the most important thing we need to know.
I understnad that history may not repeat itself, but every day, we as a collective group of humans, seem to.
Perhaps we shouldl consider the fact that it is not history itself that we do not need, but the manner in which is taught my require some tweaking. History needs to be presented as an applied science of sorts, not a year's worth of rote memorization. I am working on becoming a secondary history teacher, and I am praying I will be able to pass on the realization of teh importance of the subject to my sudents. I actually consider the realization of the fact more important than the subject itself, considering the current view of it. SOOOO ANGRY!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't