EPA Says It Will Toss Artifacts from Historic 18th Century US Fort into a LandfillBreaking News
The EPA now says that the beams are contaminated with potential carcinogens known as PCBs and therefore must be buried in a landfill.
The dredging operation is being conducted to remove sediments containing PCBs from the river about 40 miles north of Albany, N.Y.
Fort Edward, where the dredging damage occurred, was one of the largest forts in the colonies during the French and Indian War in the mid-18th century, and it was a key strategic position during the American Revolution...
comments powered by Disqus
Donald Wolberg - 8/19/2009
One wonders where the outrage or at least complaints of historians and scientists are when reflexive regulators with god complexes determine what is or isn't in everyone's best interest. The beams may well be "contaminated" with PCBs, but one wonders what the concentrations might be, berhaps parts per million or even parts per billion? The wonder of the discovery is that these appear to be beams from a British fort and not only are significant because of their value as just that, but also represent wood that is of significance for climate data, atmospheric chemistry data, botanical data, etc. One wonders if the EPA might be violating other federal laws, namely the Archaeological Resources Protection Act by this action. Where is the Smithsonian in all this? It is odd that we live in an age where agencies and faceless bureaucrats determine what is scientifically or historically significant or not.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity