Black Confederate Soldiers
Originally published 01/02/2018
Two South Carolina lawmakers want to erect a monument on the State House grounds to African-Americans who served the state as Confederate soldiers. But records show the state never accepted nor recognized armed African-American soldiers during the Civil War.
Originally published 10/15/2015
Kevin M. Levin
The story neo-Confederates have been spreading in the weeks since the Charleston shooting that hundreds of thousands of blacks served in the Confederate army are fallacious.
- Trump’s Getting Us Ready to Fight a Nuclear War
- Monticello Is Done Avoiding Jefferson’s Relationship With Sally Hemings
- Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families
- Trump-Kim Deal Promises Answers for Families of Korean War M.I.A.s
- Massachusetts High School Apologizes After Nazi Quote Is Printed in Yearbook
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying
- Wiliam Reese, Leading Seller of Rare Books, Is Dead at 62
- Alisse Theodore points out that women first became politically active in the fight against Andrew Jackson’s genocidal Indian Removal campaign
- More fallout from SHAFR's decision to invite David Petraeus as keynote speaker
- ‘EU is weakest world power’ Niall Ferguson says