Originally published 03/22/2018
No, “liberal” and “progressive” aren’t synonyms. They have completely different histories—and the differences matter.
Originally published 10/24/2017
Reflecting growing partisan gaps across most of the individual questions in the scale – even those where both parties have shifted in the same direction – Republicans and Democrats are now further apart ideologically than at any point in more than two decades.
Originally published 01/12/2016
When Washington reformers became ‘liberals,’ ‘progressives’ in turn became more radical.
Originally published 06/30/2015
But they should still not be sanguine. They shouldn't go too far in thinking that the nation is all of a sudden trending to the left.
Originally published 11/24/2013
This off-Broadway play is something of a small miracle.
Originally published 12/30/2017
American liberals have been thrown into despair in 2017 by the new nastiness of American politics. But behind the headlines, our country has been evolving in directions that liberals could find encouraging.
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama