by Ed Simon
The House Un-American Activities Committee and the real intent of Trump's "free speech" executive order.
SOURCE: Sandbox (blog)
by Martin Kramer
"Trump’s limited executive order doesn’t resemble the sweeping Jewish ban that changed the career of Bernard Lewis.”
by Bob Buzzanco
Not since I had to remember and recite “The New Colossus” in elementary school have I seen so many references to Emma Lazarus’s poem on the Statue of Liberty as in the past week.
SOURCE: Informed Comment
by Juan Cole
On the similarities between the Trump / Bannon inaugural speech and Fascist ideology.
by David J. Bier
Congress long ago outlawed discrimination based on national origin.
The petition criticizes the executive order restricting immigration from select Muslim countries.
by Benjamin Hellwege
Older Americans are facing rampant job discrimination. The law enacted in 1967 to protect them has been weakened by the Supreme Court. Congress won’t act. Obama should.
- The History Briefing on the 30th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall
- History Says Bloomberg 2020 Would Be a Sure Loser
- Then and now: How Trump impeachment hearing is different
- Poland asks Netflix to make changes to documentary about Nazi death camp guard
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Black Perspectives Publishes Online Forum: "Researching, Teaching, and Embodying the Black Diaspora"
- Distinguished professor, civil war historian James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr. passes away
- Noel Ignatiev, scholar who called for abolishing whiteness, dies at 78
- Historians Elizabeth Catte, Rebecca Solnit, and Peniel Joseph Quoted in Washington Post Article, "The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?"
- When Southern Historians Made History Themselves